From Plastic to Plastic.

news February 25, 2022

Regional market leader Plàsticos Ojara shreds and recycles plastic clothes hangers at their production plant in Medellín, Colombia with a WEIMA WLK 4 single-shaft shredder.

01

See the shredder in action & learn more about the actual production process of the plastic hangers.

02

With more than 40 years since its foundation, Plásticos Ojara has now grown to operate with 200+ employees and continues to serve as an important supplier to the clothing industry. 90% of their output goes back to Colombian businesses and consumers with the remaining 10% being exported to Ecuador, Panama, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, and Guatemala.

employee sorting defect plastic hangers at plasticos ojara

Manual sorting of plastic hangers

manueal hangers sorting in front of weima shredder

Manual sorting before shredding

production machin eof plastic hangers at plasticos ojara

Production of new/recycled plastic hangers

Employee separates plastic hangers for packaging.

Packaging of plastic hangers

01
40
years of experience
02
500k
lbs input material
03
200
employees
04

Why WEIMA?

WEIMA was presented to the company as a viable option for a shredder from a third-party recommendation. Although the implementation of the shredder came out of necessity, they a clear vision of what the qualities of a new machine should be. They stated that it was important that the new machine be safe, efficient, and easy to operate. Since the installation of the WLK 4, there have been no concerns and no doubt that the shredder has met all the requirements for a successful investment in new shredding equipment.

WEIMA shredder with shredded hangers in front of it

WEIMA WLK 4 single-shaft shredder at Plasticos Ojara in South America

WEIMA's WLK 4 single-shaft shredder located in the "Raw Materials" section of Ojara's facility.

WLK 4 single-shaft shredder at Plasticos Ojara

05

The WLK 4 single-shaft shredder has a V rotor, a hopper that is batch-fed and is generally operated during one shift at an output rate of ~350kg per hour (with the ability to have a much higher throughput given a more consistent feed). The company will be able to maximize the shredder's cutting power by rotating the rotor knives regularly.

View inside WEIMA shredder with rotor and plastic hangers

Shredding of plastic hangers

06

From Plastic to Plastic

The actual materials that are processed and shredded are: polypropylenes, polystyrene, and polyethylene – prominent materials in plastic. Roughly 250,000 kg of these materials are processed each day and most if it comes from within the plant. Only a few raw materials are outsourced. The extra material that comes from imperfect products is recovered, shredded, granulated, and then reintroduced to make a new product that will sell.

The installation of the WEIMA shredder minimized waste and maximized, space and revenue simultaneously.

Shredded plastic material can be seen in different stages: Shredded, granulated and repurposed into new hangers.

Shredded, granulated, reconstructed

Contact

Marketing

WEIMA Maschinenbau GmbH

Bustadt 6-10

74360 Ilsfeld

Contact

Additional Information

About WEIMA

More than 40,000 machines sold worldwide! WEIMA has been manufacturing robust shredders and briquetting presses for the disposal and processing of all types of waste for more than four decades. Our machines include single-shaft shredders, four-shaft shredders, cutting mills and briquette presses. The popular blood orange machines are used in the wood, plastics, paper, metal and waste-to-energy industries.

Made in Germany. Built for the world.

Shredders and briquette presses from WEIMA are exclusively made in Germany and come from production plants in Saxony-Anhalt and Baden-Wuerttemberg. Every year, more than 300 employees work on around 1,200 customer solutions from around the globe. We have long-standing sales and service locations in the USA, Poland, India and China. More than 80 representatives supplement this global presence.

Newsletter
Sign-up for our newsletter and get all the latest updates in your mailbox
Sign-up for our newsletter